KANSAS CLOSE OUT
The Teamroot.com Classic closed out the 2017-18 season with
Paola Longoria continuing her assault on the record books.
The Ladies Professional Racquetball Tour ended the 2017-2018 season in Overland Park, Kansas, where the Teamroot.com Classic proved a fitting season wrap up event. It was a season that presented a high level play that created volatility in the rankings from the second spot on. Paola Longoria (Mexico) has continued to hold on to the number one position in dominant fashion. With her final win of the season in Kansas, what Paola is doing on the tour is groundbreaking.
Longoria's Teamroot.com Classic championship now leaves her with 89 titles on tour. Paola went into Kansas already having secured her 9th consecutive season at the number one spot.
In the final, Paola met Frederique Lambert (Canada). Frederique was the only player that managed to take a game from Longoria. For Lambert, it really did come down to the last event of the season for her bid to end the year with the Number 2 ranking.
Finishing at #2 isn't new for Frederique. She ended last season as the number two ranked player, but this year was a satisfying grab for Lambert. She lost her top ranking early due to missing some events because of her work load at Université de Montréal. The 2017-18 season saw two other players take the #2 rank. So for Frederique, ending the year proves a point for her, that she deserves to be where she is.
This was especially evident in her quarterfinal match up with Maria Jose Vargas. Vargas was solidly holding on to the #2 spot before she left to start a family. Since her return, Vargas has been burning through the rankings and has posed a significant challenge to top players, often upsetting their results in the charts. For Frederique, her statement was something like, "I belong here. I'm not here because she wasn't."
• Samantha Salas met Paola Longoria in the top half of the semifinal, setting up a rematch of their final match in San Antonio. Salas pulled off a huge victory at The Alamo but found herself a bit short against Paola in this match up despite fighting off a challenge in Gaby Martinez in her Quarterfinal. Salas has returned to the tour in powerful fashion since recovering from shoulder surgery and ends this season in the middle of her work to gain back ground in the rankings.
• Nancy Enriquez managed to make her semifinal through an impressive win over Rhonda Rajsich, who now currently sits only one spot ahead of Nancy's #6 rank, (year end). Nancy rededicated herself to playing full-time on the LPRT this past season and it showed in Kansas, making the semifinal against Lambert.
• Adriana Riveros (Colombia) made her fourth Singles quarterfinal of the season and her 10th in her career on the LPRT.
• Gabriela Martinez (Guatemala) ended her season with a Quarterfinal finish in Kansas. (Martinez also made a semifinal this season.) Gaby, who is brand new to regularly touring the LPRT this season is finishing up a fantastic juniors career. Her potential was on display in Kansas, having upset top-ranked Natalia Mendez in the Round of 16's.
• Rhonda Rajsich (USA) finished in the quarterfinal for only the second time this season. This is not a customary finish for Rhonda. To give a little perspective, she's made the semifinals this season five times and has more career finals appearances than quarterfinal finishes, 54-36.
• Maria Jose Vargas (Argentina) made her only Quarterfinal finish this season in Kansas. Vargas returned to full-time touring during the second half of this season, (after starting a family). This former #2 ranked player has done this in dominant fashion by already winning a stop since her return. She faced Lambert in the Quarter, a match up that promises to become a rivalry for top positioning in the rankings next season.
The Doubles final pitted two dynamic teams that make waves internationally.
• Paola Longoria and Samantha Salas (Mexico) have won more titles together than any other combination on tour. Kansas proved to be no different for this team, taking the Teamroot.com Classic title.
• Maria Jose Vargas and Natalia Mendez (Argentina) battled through tough matches to make the final. These two train intensely together and are profoundly influencing how high the level of play is on the Ladies Professional Racquetball Tour.
You can find the draws for the Teamroot.com Classic here.
Find all manner of LPRT statistics at ProRacquetballStats.com
A very special and sincere thank you to Randy Root and Teamroot.com for this awesome season closeout event at the wonderful facility of The Jewish Community Center of Greater Kansas City in Overland Park, Kansas.
Check out some Teamroot.com Classic on court images.
• Las fotografías de la LPRT están sujetas a Términos De Uso • Cualquier uso de estas fotografías está estrictamente prohibido, al menos que exista un consentimiento escrito por parte del autor.
Again, a sincere thank you to Randy Root and Teamroot.com.